Butson Family Newsletter
Issue Number 3
Bookmark this page as http://members.aol.com/butsons/bfn03.htm
Last updated: September 8, 2013 - Change e-mail address
List of All Issues
The entire issue is on this one page, so that you can search or print the entire issue. Here are internal links to the articles:
- THE PAST: The English Records: Part I
- Register (Recent Births and Deaths)
- THE PAST: The Emigrants
- Where Are They? (More Returned Newlsetters)
- Butson Accomplishments
THE PAST: The English Records: Part I
These records are from the British Record Society's Index Library series, begun about 1880. Each pair of numbers, i.e. (66,79), designates the volume (66) and page (79). My abbreviations are:
- a = administration
- b = book
- c = copied
- f = folio
- m = missing
- r = register
- t = testament
- w = will
- - (hyphen) = marriage
- Country-wide: Prerogative Court of Canterbury
- A. Index of Wills Proved
- 1383-1558 (Volume 10)
- 1605-1619 (Volume 43)
- 1657-1660 (Volume 61)
- B. Index of Administrations
- Devonshire: Devonshire records at Exeter
- A. Calendar of Devonshire Wills and Administrations in the Principal Registry of the Bishop of Exeter (Volume 35: Pages 1-27)
- B. Court of the Archdeaconry of Exeter (Volume 35: Pages 227 et seq.)
- C. Wills and Administrations Proved in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Volume 46)
- Cornwall: Calendar of Wills, Administrations and Accounts in the Connotorial Archdiaconal Court of Cornwall
- 1568-1699 (Volume 56)
- 1700-1799 (Volume 59)
- London: Calendar of Marriage License Allegations in the Registry of the Bishop of London
- ---- BROOKE, alias BUTSON (35,228) Kentisbeare, ct1586, f270
- Agnes BUTSON (35,234) Brodhembury, w1620 (35,239) widow, Kentisbeare, w1636 (43,88) Kentisbere, Devon, 1619, 49 r Parker
- Alice BUTSON (35,263) Alphington, w 1734
- Andrew BUTSON (35,235) Dunckeswell, a 1624
- Anne BUTSON (35,262) Dunkeswell, w 1731
- Anthony BUTSON (35,229) Broadhembury, w 1590
- Appolonia BUSTON (66,21) - Tho. Calverley 13 Feb 1670-1, b28
- Bartholomew BUTSONN (35,242) Hemyocke, w1647 (35,248)
- Bartholomew BUTSON, Dunkswell, w1680 (35,259)
- Bartholomew BUTSON, Dunkeswell, w 1720
- Benj. BUTSON (or BURTON) (66,79) - Ann Foster, 21 Apr 1696, b1695-7
- Christofer BUTSTON (35,233) Kentisbeare, mt 1614
- Edward BUTSON (35,242) Kentsbeere, a 1649
- Francis BUTSON (35,246) Dunkeswell, a 1675
- George BUTSON (35,252) Kentisbeare, a 1696
- Henry BUTSON (35,19) Culmestocke, w1673 (35,259) East Budleigh, w1722 (35,265) Otterton, 1741
- Humfrie BUTTSON (35,232) Broadhemburie, mt1613
- James BUTSON (35,240) Kentesbeare, a 1641
- Jane BUTSON (35,237) Kentisbeere, w 1627
- Jenking BOTSONE (56,34) Padstow, w 1615
- Joan BUTSON (35,230) mt 1591
- Joane BUSTON (35,240) Silferton, w1642 (35,241) Kentsbeare, w1646
- John BUTSTON (10,99) Mynhed, Sornerset, w1509 (35,17)
- John BUTSON, Littleham, a1648 (35,24&27) w1727, aw1761, aw1764, Stokenham (35,229)
- John BUTSON, Hemiocke, cat1588, f464 (35,240)
- John BUTTSON, Kentisbeare, w1641 (35,242)
- John BUTSON, senior, Kentsbeere, w1649 (35,243&244&252)
- John BUTSON, Kentisbeare, a1662, a1666, w1696 (35,253)
- John BUTSON, Cheriton Fitzpaine, w1698 (35,258)
- John BUTSON, Alphington, a1714 (35,264)
- John BUTSON, Hemiock, w1738 (43,88)
- John BUTSON, Hilfarance, Somerset, 1611, 67rWood (59,29)
- John BUTSON, St. Michael Penkevil, w1768 (61,105)
- John BUTSON, husb., Churchstanton, Devon, w1659, f194 (68,59)
- John BUTSON, Littleham, Devon, 1649 (a June 1641 revoked), f25
- Margerie BUTSON (35,236) Kentisbeare, w1626 (61,105) widow, Kentisbeare, Devon, w1659, f441
- Matthew BUTSON (35,14) Hemiock, a1634 (35,239) Hemiock, w1721
- Oliver BROOKE, alias BUTSON (43,78) husbandman, Uffeculme, Devon, 1617, 109rWeldon
- Osmond BROOKE, alias BUTSON (43,78) Aller, Kintisbere, Devon, 1619, 29rParker
- Richard BUTSON (35,258) Ottery, w1718 (46,20) East Budley, w1652
- Robert BUTSON (35,233&234) Kentisbeare, w1617, w1620 (35,236) Colompton, a1624 (35,245) Ottery St, Marie, a1670 (35,252&268) Poughill, w1695, w1756
- Samuel BUTSON (35,265) East Budleigh, w1743
- Sarah BUSTIN (66,50) - Wm. Friend, 24 Fab 1686-7, b30
- Stephen BUTSTONE, alias BROKE (35,227) Kentisbear, ct1546, f54
- Thomas BUTSON (35,16) Puddington, w1646 (35,231) Kentisbeare, w1606 (35,232)
- Thomas BUSTONE, Kentisbeare, mt1609 (35,253)
- Thomas BUTSON, Shobbroke, w1699
- William BUTSON (35,229) mt1590 (35,232)
- William BROOKE, alias BUTSON, Kentesbeer, w1610
- Mrs. Grant Gilbert of London, Ont. (1 Apr 1980) sent addresses and word of a death.
- Thomas R. Butson of Havelock, Ont. (10 Apr 1980) sent addresses and a donation.
- Richard L. Davis of Arden, No. Car. (12 Apr 1980) sent an inquiry about the newsletter.
- Madeline R. Dyer of Wichita, Kan. (16 Apr 1980) turned out to be a BOSTON descendant but sent a donation.
- Michele Butson, age 12, of London, Ont. (21 Apr 1980) sent addresses and a donation.
- June (Butson) Wannamaker of Oshawa, Ont. (21 Apr 1980) sent genealogical information and a donation.
- John F. (Jack) Butson of Staffa, Ont. (24 Apr 1980) sent addresses, word of a death, and a donation.
- Lois Butson Shandeor of Noank, Conn. (28 Apr 1980) sent genealogical information.
- Mrs. Jennie Lewis (nee Weldon) of Rodney, Ont. (29 Apr 1980) sent genealogical information, an address, word of a death, and a donation.
- Elsie Schultz, my mother, of Medinah, Ill. (1 May 1980) sent word of a death.
- Mrs. Shirley McCrea (nee Merkley) of Calgary, Alberta (21 May 1980) sent genealogical information and a request for copies of family group sheets.
- Mrs. Jacqueline 0. Kriter (nee Weldon) of Rodney, Ont. (3 June sent an invitation to the 1980 reunion of descendants of George and Mary (McGirr) Butson (s of William s Solomon and Jane) near Orillia, Ontario. Next one is in 1982.
- Mrs. Laura Phoebe Deakin (nee Harvey) of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. (17 June 1980) sent information, word of two births, a donation, and a Christmas card.
- Mrs. Margaret (Butson) Richards of Seacombe Hts., S. Aus. (26 June 1980) sent genealogical information and a donation.
- Kenneth Butson of Manor, Sask. (1 Aug 1980) sent genealogical information and a donation. He would like to hear from Earl and Beulah Butson of Lumsden, Sask.
- Vernon Butson of Fergus Falls, Minn. (14 Aug 1980) sent new genealogical information, word of Butsons in Texas and Minnesota, and a Christmas card.
14 Jan 1980 Detroit, Michigan d George F. and Marcia Leutheuser d Sylvia Harvey d Laura Butson d John s John s Solomon and Jane
Justin Allen JOLIVETTE 3 July 1980 Pontiac, Michigan s Bruce J. and Virginia Holland d Fannie Harvey d Laura Butson d John s John s Solomon and Jane
- Albert Victor BUTSON of South Plympton, South Australia died recently. s Norman s John and Grace
- Hugh BUTSON 1979 or early 1980 of Fullarton, Ontario. His newsletter was returned "deceased." I met Hugh in 1977 and regret his passing. His World War I photo is with my gggrandmother Emma Butson's in our dining room. s Leonard s James s Solomon and Jane
- Leslie BUTSON of Staffa, Ontario 1 June 1978 (born 1895). I visited him at Stratford in 1977 and have a photograph of him at that time. s George s Solomon and Jane
- Emma Gertrude CUNNEA of Chicago died 12 April 1980 in Rhinelander, Wis. She was my grandfather's sister. Her family's slide presentation of their trip to Pickering, Ont. paved the way for my own family's first trip to Canada in 1973. d George H. Johnston s Emma Butson d Henry s Solomon and Jane
- Lloyd GILBERT of Ilderton, Ontario died 21 September 1960. h Laurina Smith d Esther Butson d John s Solomon and Jane
- William LEWIS of Rodney, Ontario 12 March 1980 h Jennie Weldon d Olive Butson d George s William s Solomon and Jane
THE PAST: THE EMIGRANTS
The following is a list of known Butson emigrants, arranged by destination. For family emigrations, only the parents are shown. Let me know of any others or of more details on these.
- Oshawa: Solomon and Jane (KEAM) BUTSON, from St. Blazey, Cornwall about 1840
- Midland: Arthur Henry Cecil and Frances (LACY) BUTSON from St. Stephen in Brannel (?), Cornwall about 1900
Australia and New Zealand
- Michigan: George W. BUTSON, before 1821 (one of the first settlers of Pontiac, Michigan)
- Illinois: Thomas and Susan (RICHARDS) BUTSON, from Silverwill, Cornwall 1848 (to Vinegar Hill, Jo Daviess Co)
- Illinois: Andrew Butson (or ancestor), before 1855 (Hancock Co)
- Illinois: John BUTSON, from England before 1876 (DeKalb, Kane C)
- Connecticut: Joseph BUTSON, from Fowey, Cornwall 1891
- Minnesota: ancestor of William Butson, from Germany (?)
- South Australia: John and Grace (BERRIMAN) BUTSON, from Cornwall about 1860
- Australia and New Zealand: Samuel BUTSON, from Newquay, Cornwall about 1850
WHERE ARE THEY?
(MORE RETURNED NEWSLETTERS)
Seven of those listed in issue number 2 have been found; 26 are still "lost". The 12 listed here are also "lost" -- can you send more recent addresses than these last known ones?
- T.; 31 Conisborough Cres.; London, England
- Robert; Prince Albert, Ontario
- Russel; Prince Albert, Ontario
- S.; 916 Victoria; London, Ontario
- EULER, Marion; 83 Byron Ave.; London, Ontario
- FREEMAN, Mr. & Mrs. D. R.; 970 Joel; Sarnia, Ontario
- HEWITT, Jim & Connie, Box 278; Exeter, Ontario
- James L.; 901 13th; La Grande, Oregon
- Robert R.; 821 SW 2nd; Ontario, Oregon
- McINTOSH, Mr. & Mrs. David; RR1; St. Mary's, Ontario
- SMITH, Edward G.; Vancouver, British Columbia
- TIDY, Mr. & Mrs. Wilfrid; 34 Primrose Ave.; Hamilton, Ontario
This is a continuation of the list in the first issue. These are taken from the National Union Catalogs for 1963-78 and pre-1956 imprints.
- A. A. Strange Butson, 1880, London, England: "The Art of Washing" and "On the leads; or what the planets saw."
- Christopher Butson, 1807, Bishop of Clonfert (Co. Galway, Ireland), published in Dublin: "A sermon preached before the members of the Association incorporated for discountenancing vice and promoting the knowledge and practice of the Christian religion in St. Peter's Church on Thursday, 9th April, 1807"
- K. D. Butson, 1968, University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Gainesville Agricultural Experiment Stations: "Weekly Rainfall Frequencies in Florida"
- Thomas Butson, 1964, Toronto Daily Star: The Fathers of Confederation
- Thomas Theodore Butson, 1975, Ph. D., University of Minnesota: "A Study of the Effects of an Alternative School Program on Selected Cognitive and Affective Areas of Growth of Non-Urban Students"
Please note the following regarding e-mail.
- This really is a low priority for me right now. So I may
take quite a while to answer your e-mail. But someday, I
will get around to it.
- I am NOT planning to publish another issue.
- Please include "Butson" in the subject of your
note, since I am receiving e-mail on several different
subjects, and this will help me to sort things out.
- Once you have read all of the above, please send comments
Copyright © 2013 by Wesley Johnston
All rights reserved
Return to the List of All Issues